Friday, October 12, 2012

Birthday Bliss

Well as many of my family and friends know today is my 20th birthday. The fact that I am leaving my teen years and childhood has been scaring me to death. I usually love birthday's and that is all I can talk and think about when September/October comes around each year, but this year I was sort of dreading it.

Gone are the days of running around the neighborhood without a care in the world. Gone are the days of sleepovers, recess, high school football games, and everything you grow up doing and enjoying. That has been the hardest part about graduating high school and moving out.

Each year I realize more and more that I'm not a kid. The fact that this is my 3rd year of college and I'm almost done makes me realize I will be a full blown, full time working adult in less than 2 years, and it scares me to death. I've been trying to adjust to growing up for the past 3 years. And I won't lie, its been hard. This birthday, my second decade of living, also scares me, because I've now lived for 2 decades, in a year I will be an adult on paper..

But this isn't the end. Today is my birthday, I am no longer a teen and it is OK. I am actually ridiculously happy today! I still feel the same, and I've realized that no matter how old I get, I will still be me. I can still have fun, I can still have friends, and I can enjoy life. Yea, I have a lot more to worry about now then I did 10 years ago, but I shouldn't let that bring me down. I have an abundant amount of friends that care about me. I have an above par, legit family that loves me. I have a lot to be thankful for.

So instead of being sad that I'm 20, I'm going to be happy. Why? Because I've lived for 2 decades. I have a goal, to live longer. I'm going to look forward to each birthday as a milestone that I've lived longer than I have so far, and thats something to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment